What we’re looking for in your solution
Your solution has proven technical feasibility and is ready to be further developed for this purpose.
The sky is the limit, although you may find below some general areas of interest:
- Advanced protection and performance: technologies to obtain inert coatings such as anti-fingerprint, anti-icing, enhanced color durability and drag reduction, as well as superior corrosion and abrasion resistance of paint
- Well-being: technologies with enabling/enhancing properties such as anti-viral and anti-microbial, stain repellent, air-purifying, self-cleaning, sound and noise cancellation and adaptable to mood
- “Smart” coatings: solutions enabling deployment of the Internet of Things (IoT) approach in paints and coatings; for example, coatings capable of detecting changes within the coating, as well as in their environment, and responding to the relevant stimuli to adapt their properties
- Energy management: technologies enabling energy generation, harvest and storage using paints and coatings
Also consider needs customers aren’t even aware of yet. Your solution should help us to move boundaries and exceed customer expectations. Let’s work together to bring surfaces to life!
Coatings take care of our surfaces
We all know paints and coatings keep materials colorful and protected – whether it’s the walls inside your home, the outside of an airplane, the body of a race car or the hull of a ship. By no means a small feat, but it’s not all that coatings can do.
Coatings can also add functionalities to bring surfaces to life, helping materials do their jobs better. Like resisting heat and radiation to keep buildings cool and reduce energy consumption. Or purifying air and repelling bacteria – just to name a few examples.
We want to add even more transformative powers
We’ve given some examples of things we can already do with paints and coatings. But together, let’s find ways to expand products’ abilities with exciting new or vastly improved functionalities that solve specific customer problems or respond to needs they’re not even aware of yet.
Think way “outside the can” on this one. We want to find truly innovative coating solutions that enable materials to extend their use and act in new and unique ways. Together we can improve paints and coatings products beyond expectations, making them more competitive and ready for the future.
Looking for some inspiration?
Our Hammerite Ultima, a water-based paint, is suitable for use on all types of metal and provides a supreme protective barrier even when applied directly on rusty metal surfaces. Read more on Akzonobel.com.
Another example is Resicoat R2, a powder coating with a drinking water safety license and superior functionalities that prolong the lifespan of water piping. Read more on Akzonobel.com.
Do you have the solution?
Together, let’s expand the range of functionalities that paints and coatings can offer by adding a totally new functionality and/or achieving a step change in performance.
Will your solution help us answer the question below?
What exciting new functionality and/or transformative power can your technology offer to bring surfaces to life?
Ready to submit?
Please click the “submit” button. We will respond to all submissions and look forward to collaborating with you.
Make sure you add these dates to your calendar:
- July 20, 2021 the challenge closes to new submissions
- By October 2021, you will receive feedback and be notified whether your submission has been selected
We thank you for your time and effort. Welcome to the Paint the Future community!